- "The right to be left alone -- the most comprehensive of rights, and the right most valued by a free people." (Warren and Brandeis, 1980)
There are a lot of definitions of privacy:
- Privacy is the ability of an individual or group to stop information about themselves from becoming known to people other than those whom they choose to give the information. (Wikipedia:Privacy)
- Privacy is the interest that individuals have in sustaining a 'personal space', free from interference by other people and organisations. (R. Clarke)
The Right to Privacy
Privacy is a fundamental human right. It's importance is reflected in the fact that the fundamental documents that define human rights include reference to privacy, e.g. the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR 1948, Article 12), the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR 1966, Article 17) and many national Constitutions.
Dimensions of Privacy
Privacy is often divided in the following separate but related dimensions:
- Information privacy: the collection and handling of personal data (also known as "data protection")
- Bodily privacy: the protection of people's physical selves against invasive procedures such as genetic tests and drug testing
- Privacy of communications: the security and privacy of mail, telephones, e-mail and other forms of communication
- Territorial privacy: the setting of limits on intrusion into the domestic and other environments such as the flat, workplace or public space. This includes searches, video surveillance and ID checks. (www.privacyinternational.org)
Protection of Privacy
In many countries around the world, there is a general law that governs the collection, use and circulation of personal data by both the public and private sectors.
by Privacy Enhancing Technologies
Both shooting victims were registered sex offenders, State Police said, and as a precaution yesterday, authorities took offline the Maine Sex Offender Registry, which is maintained by State Police and contains the photos, names, and addresses of more than 2,200 Maine registered sex offenders.
Nach der Ermordung zweier registrierter Sexualverbrecher hat der US-Bundesstaat Maine seine Triebtäter-Datenbank vom Netz genommen. Sie enthielt rund 2200 Einträge - meist mit aktueller Wohnanschrift, Arbeitgeber und teilweise auch Fotos.
- epic.org The A to Z's of Privacy
- Some Reflections on the Sociology of Anonymity by Gary T. Marx (MIT)
- Philosophical View Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Sicherheitskultur.at Einige Aspekte zum Thema Privatsphäre
- www.nethics.net Sammlung von Grundlagen-Artikeln
"„Mit dem PrivacyDongle des FoeBuD e.V. können alle Menschen anonym im Internet surfen. Der kleine USB-Stick beherbergt die Software TorPark, mit der anonyme Kommunikation ohne vorherigen Installationsaufwand möglich ist. ..."