Alternate Nostril Breath
Jump to navigation Jump to search
What is this?
- Calms the nervous system and is an excellent preparation for meditation
- Over times this practice helps to prevent mood-swings and quell anxiety.
- There are no risks to practice this but a severely deviated nasal septum or congested nasal passages can make this practice very difficult if not impossible (Here the [[Neti Pot|Neti] wash practice might help)
- Advisable to wait 2-3 hours after eating and 1.5 hour after drinking before practicing.
Points of practice
- Site erect and breathe smoothly, evenly and diaphragmatically. Avoid pauses and shallow breathing
- Block one nostril and exhale and inhale through the opposite nostril. THen change nostrils and exhale and inahlae again. Repeat until you have taken three breaths through both nostrils. Then lower the hand and breath three times through both nostrils. This is one round. Repeat two more rounds.