To use the LiNux FramebufferDevice you need the following compiled static into your kernel (not just modules)
- "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" in "Code maturity level options"
- "Video mode selection support" in "Console drivers"
- "Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)" in "Console drivers/Frame-buffer support"
Then select the according driver for your graphics card in
- Console drivers/Frame-buffer support
Finally you need to append a vga= to the kernel line into your LiLo or GrUb config.
Example: vga=0x318 would mean 1024x768 Pixels at 16 MB
To find out the modes your card supports and their numbers, run
- hwinfo --framebuffer
- Videos auf der Konsole - Framebuffer im Einsatz (de)
- Framebuffer HOWTO
Try to make this page better, please.